Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Usually it's Law and Order. A Hallmark movie. Or America's Funniest Home Videos. But lately it's been "Touched by An Angel". It's the show that is blaring as I walk into my elderly clients home at 9pm, reporting for my 12 hour overnight shift. So I sit in a red and white checkered chair and watch with them.
And it's been getting me. Its the same thing; someone is dying and has to make peace with their family, an occasional orphan, an old man who finds out that money isn't everything in the end.. whatever. But the show is actually pretty good. Tonight there was a quote in it that I found inspiring, "Tess" the soulful black angel just miraculously got cured from Alzheimers and is talking to another elderly woman at the nursing home, telling her all the great things about the after life, but she says at one point (throw in some "honeys" and "babys") that "right now I am talking to your soul, I'm not talking to your mind, but your soul".
I think that if we talked to peoples souls, then we would mean a lot more. We talk to fill space, we don't even listen half the time because all we are thinking about is what we are going to say in response as soon as the person we are talking to shuts up.
Our words are often void of meaning. But if we direct our thoughts to the soul, and not the mind, imagine how much more meaningful our words would be... baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment