Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It’s so cliché, but I wanted to be a nurse “to help people”. There are so many people out there that are hurting, are sick, and just need someone to give them an extra few minutes, hold their hand, to make them feel cared about. It’s the smallest gestures that make us feel the human connection, that warms our hearts and for a moment or for an eternity makes us remember that there is goodness in the world. Something we can appreciate and take away from.
But doing the work I do is teaching me that although I feel like I am helping, I feel like the people I care for are helping ME, in so many ways. I’m inspired by those we are clinging to life, but still have this luminescent hope that shines through them, and even for those who don’t have the hope, they have the honesty to want to surrender, to say they had a good life and are now ready to go on.
I’m filled with joy, when a client who I’ve been assisting for over a year now tells me he considers me to be one of his closest friends. How your smile just made someone's day. When you feel at the end of the day that you truly made a difference -It’s so rewarding. We have opportunities everyday to make differences, take those opportunities.

"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile."- Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment